The button up is classic Fall. It's sophisticated, cool, and knows how to work, work, work, work, work, work. It's a piece I would suggest you invest a little money into, because you want it to fit well and look beautiful.
As I mentioned above, a good white button up will be a work horse for you. It's a perfect layer under a beautiful jacket or blazer, goes with basically all the bottoms, and you can style it in so many different ways.
Did I mention it's also a perfect canvas for amazing jewellery, bags, and scarves? You can see that in action in the images of my incredible friend, photographer and designer/artist extraordinaire, Nicole. Add it to your shopping list and make it your Fall mission to find the perfect one.
Anything goes with the right button up, and the key is in the fit. We've all experienced the annoying gap that happens around the 3rd or 4th button when our boobs get in the way and we end up showing the world which bra we chose that day.
How this is still a problem I will never understand, but for the love of God ladies take your time when choosing your next button up shirt. If you really struggle and can't seem to find one that works for your body type then I have two thoughts:
1. If the gap is fairly small, try taking it to a tailor and having all of the buttons moved out a touch.
2. If the gap is always quite large then do yourself a favour, find a great tailor and go custom.
Here are my top picks:
- Aritzia: The Group by Babton Reno Shirt - this is the shirt I'm wearing, and I love it.
- Everlane: Women's Relaxed Linen Shirt - I clearly have a thing for long, relaxed fit button ups.
- J. Crew: Stretch Perfect Shirt - for the ladies who want something a little more fitted.
If you have a favourite button up brand shoot me a line in the comments below! Otherwise, you know the drill...get to shopping.
JOIN THE FAM
If you are just joining us here at The Style Report for the first time then welcome! We hope you enjoyed. We also hope, if you haven't already, that you'll subscribe to our newsletter, because we'd really love to welcome you into our little family for good.